A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....I had to come up with a Valentine for some slightly geeky (and I mean geeky in a cool Sheldon Cooper sort of way) boys. A Valentine that was the epitome of cool, while offering absolutely nothing in the way of romantic sentiment.
Enter Pinterest and the humble glo-stick, once reserved exclusively for holidays that are celebrated after dark like Halloween and Independence Day. Not anymore. Last Easter we put them inside plastic eggs for a glow-in-the dark Easter egg hunt, and now we're using them in our Valentines.
Before you know it, someone will figure out how to bake a glo-stick into a cupcake! I'm pretty sure the Glo-stick Manufacturers of China (that's where 100% of glo-sticks are made, right?) are going to have their best year ever.
There are all kinds of ideas on Pinterest these days for glo-stick Valentines. We went with the light sabre option. Because it's manly. And it has a light sabre.
I found the cute Star Wars printables here. And I found the glo-sticks at Target. They have packages of 15 in the $1 bin. Which made these Valentines practically free!
You just cut a little slit with an Xacto knife where the top of the light sabre handle is, slide in your glo-stick and tape it down on the backside. Unless you want a double-edged light sabre in the style of Darth Maul. Then you need to make a second slit at the bottom of the light sabre handle and slide your glo-stick back through the front.
We added a card stock backing first, which made our Valentine's a little sturdier (and more cute, in my opinion), but it was also harder to get the glo-stick in there. So next time I would add the glo-stick first, then attach the card stock back. Of course, that would make it hard for the kids to pull the glo-stick out and actually use it. So maybe you shouldn't complicate things the way I do and just opt for a single layer of paper. I also recommend having a few more glo-sticks than you need. We cracked several into action when we were inserting them into the Valentines.
Now get on over to Target A.S.A.P. There's going to be a run on glo-sticks!
Way to go a bargain! I am sure the boys will love them!
ReplyDeleteAWESOME! Love this!
ReplyDeleteThis makes me nostalgic for the year when my son made a heart out of some red legoes and we took a photo of it,printed it onto cardstock and used for Valentines...seems sort of prehistoric compared to what you have going on! :)
ReplyDeleteSo much better than the disposable toothbrushes I picked up.
ReplyDeleteI found 100 glow sticks on amazon to do these with. Just over 3 dollars! Now we will have plenty for years to come :) Thanks for the idea!
ReplyDelete